Cameroon - Anglophone Crisis: SDO Bans Transportation Of Iron Rods Into Lebialem Following Rising Insecurity

Par Atia T. AZOHNWI | Cameroon-Info.Net
Fontem - 28-Aug-2019 - 13h19   3426                      
0
Etta Mbokaya Ashu, préfet du Lebialem archives
The transportation of 6mm and 8mm iron rods into Lebialem Division in Cameroon's troubled South West Region has been proscribed until further notice.

The prohibition is contained in Prefectural Order No. 044/2019 dated August 22, 2019 and signed by the Senior Divisional Officer for Lebialem Division, Etta Mbokaya Ashu.

The decision of the Lebialem chief executive officer is not unconnected to the insecurity that has gained roots following the deepening socio-political crisis in Cameroon's North West and South West Regions. 

The prefect of Lebialem's order read: "Considering the insecurity prevailing in Lebialem Division, considering the necessity of service,  the SDO hereby orders as follows:

"That with effect from the date of signature of this order, the importation of 6mm and 8mm iron rods into Lebialem Division is hereby prohibited till further notice. 

"That the forces of the defense and security forces of Lebialem Division are charged with the strict implementation of this order which shall be registered and communicated wherever and whenever necessary."

The move from the Senior Divisional Officer of Lebialem may not be unconnected to the discovery by soldiers of a local plant for the fabrication of local weapons reportedly used by separatist fighters to engage in battles with Cameroon's Security and Defense Forces. 

Lebialem is known to be the fief of Lekeaka Oliver aka Field Marshal, leader of the Lebialem-based “Red Dragons” armed group fighting for the independence of a country they call Ambazonia.

On December 31, 2018, the Cameroonian Army said it had killed “Field Marshall” Lekeaka Oliver in Lebialem though his death was quickly denied by the Interim Government of Ambazonia. He resurfaced in a video a week later, proving that reports of his death were indeed false. It is however not known when the said video was shot. 

Two months after, Cameroon’s Military insisted on social media that the leader of the “Red Dragons” had indeed died and was buried in Nigeria. A twitter and a Facebook account, “Honneur et Fidélité – Armée Camerounaise”, announced on February 11, 2019 that “Field Marshal” died and was buried in Taraba State, Nigeria. 

“The grave of late Oliver LEKE FONGUNUEH Field Marshal in Taraba state of Nigeria. He was attained fatally on the 27th of December 2018 during combat with the B.I.R after his position was sold out. He died in Taraba state of Nigeria where he was taken for treatment as requested by his witch doctor. Since then, a comic actor is paid to record his audios in Alapa old rold at Ikom, Nigeria( Sam arks studio),” a post on the military’s Facebook page read on February 11, 2019. 

The above post was accompanied by two pictures – one showing Field Marshal displaying guns and another showing a grave believed to be his. A similar post was put on twitter the same day. 

But as many woke up on May 1 to celebrate Labour Day, an audio from “the late Field Marshal” went viral on social media. He claims to have recorded it on April 30, 2019, although voices could be heard correcting him when he ‘erroneously’ said “30 October”. 

Field Marshal in the audio claims to have inflicted pain on security forces across Lebialem recently, although images indicate the contrary. Self-styled separatist General Ayekeh of the ‘Red Dragon’ is said to have been killed a month after similar news made rounds. 

A viral video showed the lifeless body of a man said to be “General Ayekeh”,   and voices believed to be that of the country’s security and defence forces are heard declaring that ‘Field Marshal’ will be next. This contradicted earlier military communications that the said Field Marshall had long been “neutralised”.

Since news of his death went viral, no video is known to have come from Field Marshal though some audios have been attributed to him. 

Lebialem SDO's ban on transportation of rods (c) Facebook
Auteur:
Atia T. AZOHNWI
 @T_B_D
Tweet
Facebook




Dans la même Rubrique